A Divine Invitation (Creed Chapter 2)
Getting to Know God
- God did more than just build in a desire for us to know Him.
- God reveals himself to us so that we can know Him.
- The most important things we know about God come from God himself.
- This is divine revelation.
- Divine, because it’s from God.
- Revelation because He is making himself known to us.
Four Features of God’s Revelation
- It takes a long time.
- It has happened throughout history.
- It happens between God and us.
- It takes place in a community setting.
It takes a long time.
- God reveals himself gradually, over a long period of time.
- “In times past, God spoke in partial and various ways to our ancestors through the prophets; in these last days, he spoke to us through a son…” (Hebrews 1:1-2)
- We’re talking a long time here.
- Think of how long it takes to get to know a person.
It has happened throughout history.
- We can look at past events and see God present in them.
- The Israelites exodus from Egypt.
It happens between God and us.
- God reveals himself to people.
It takes place in a community setting.
- God reveals himself not just to individuals.
- Revelation happens when we are together.
- We accomplish our greatest feats together.